I had a feeling that taking a break and thinking this over will do some good. To recap - when I tried to fly the heli it would start spinning out of control as soon as it lifted off the ground - as if the gyro was not doing what it's supposed to do which is to keep the heli pointed forward and counter react the spinning forces that are induced by the main rotor.
The gyro is supposed to move the tail servo opposite of where the heli is turning, and a short test I did trying to simulate the helicopter spinning showed that the gyro was not really doing much if anything at all:
Since the heli I'm building is made of different parts from different vendors, there really isn't a 'manual' that I could go through so more research was due in. I searched online for setting up 'a' Gyro with the transmitter that I have, and found out that there are additional configuration settings that needed to be done in order to utilize some of the gyro functionality - aka - making it do what I was counting it to do. after adding those settings which added heading hold mode by mixing one of the knobs on the transmitter with channel 5 (the gyro gain control channel) I was finally able to raise the gain on the gyro and actually make it functional:
While the uploaded quality of the videos leaves a lot to be desired, you should be able to clearly hear the difference as the tail servo is quite active after the change and is responding very well to all tail movements.
This is a setting that was missing from the videos I was following, and was not really explained in detail which lead me to miss it all together. a pricy lesson, but at least there is some hope. So I ordered replacement main gears (got a few just in case) and hopefully will get those by saturday for some fixing and another test flight hopefully this time around it'll take off as everything does seem to be operational at the moment....
Back in business (I hope)!
No comments:
Post a Comment